Saturday, February 11, 2006

 

Devoted Olympian or just plain nuts??

So like the rest of you (approx. 4000 now) that signed up for the "Knitting Olympics", I waited with great anticipation for the flame to be lit yesterday. I made sure that everything was ready: the house, kids, pets, self. Daughter & I sat ready with our knitting & TV on. Then it happened, we lost the signal.

Of all the times for the blasted TV to decide not to work, it had to be then. I called mom in a panic & she said that the actual flame wouldn't be lit until about 2:00pm. She would call & let it ring 2 times so that I would know when to start knitting. As I laid out my stuff, I thought that at least I could do the gauge so that I'd be really ready.

This is when I realized that I didn't have the correct needles. This part didn't bother me as much as the fact that I had ample opportunities to have had this sorted out earlier in the week when I was actually in town. I even pondered over the needles Wed. With MA, but was sure that I had the correct ones at home. Needless to say that the unmarked pkg. left to me from my granny that I thought were the correct ones, were not.

So, I then did what any devoted athlete would do. I went downstairs to collect some chicken skewers from my polymer stash (I use these for shaping clay) . I cut them in half & got out the knife. I was not going to let a little technicality keep me from performing in my event. I would whittle myself a set.

Now, I have never whittled anything best I can remember, but I had seen my dad do it numerous times as a kid. I then sanded them on a bit of sand paper from my stash. I was pleased at my accomplishment. I ran upstairs & sat back down waiting for either the TV to start working or the phone to ring twice. Nothing yet. Called mom who had gotten so caught up in the Games that she forgot to call, but assured me that I could start. I had measured the needles with size checker & realized that they were perfect size 2's.

It wasn't until I had done a couple of rounds & stabbed myself numerous times that I realized several things.
Once I came to terms with my findings, I got out granny's needles again. Although 13/4 sizes too big, I also realized that when you're a tight knitter you can make the same gauge. Hallelujah, let the games begin!

PS- when hubby got home from work he managed to fix the TV & I did get to watch the ceremonies later that night when they aired it again. (Just in case you all were wondering, lol)

Peace out, Boop :)

Comments:
Well I never knew that all of this transpired when you were here for a visit. You always surprise me with your adventures. Love your sense of humour. Still trying to figure out what "peace out" means.
 
Whittling? Yep...just plain nuts. No doubt about it!
Did you stop & think that maybe the signal went out because there were so many knitters all sitting there with the TV on with their needles poised and they overloaded the system?
Your whittling needles is just about as crazy as my cutting denim up to knit. We make a good pair...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?